Hello! My name's Liliana. I'm a teacher of English (Language and Literature) to Italian teenage stu

Monday, January 23, 2017

LITERARY DEVICES

Alliteration
Three grey geese in a green field grazing, Grey were the geese and green was the grazing.


Mike’s microphone made much music

Sara’s seven sisters slept soundly in sand.



Hyperbole
Well now, one winter it was so cold that all the geese flew backward and all the fish moved south and even the snow turned blue

“I’ve told you a million times”

 “It was so cold, I saw polar bears wearing jackets”

I had a ton of homework.



Metaphor

The rain came down in long knitting needles

All the world’s a stage,
And all the men and women merely players.
They have their exits and their entrances,
And one man in his time plays many parts,
His acts being seven ages.

He drowned in a sea of grief.

Her
 voice is music to his ears.

The classroom was a zoo.

Tom’s eyes were ice

The moon is a white balloon.


Onomatopoeia 

Pitter, patter. Pit. Pit. Patter. Splitter, splatter, down comes the rain

The buzzing bee flew away.


Personification 

The fire ran wild.
The stars danced playfully in the moonlit sky.
The bees played hide and seek with the flowers as they buzzed from one to another.
The ocean danced in the moonlight.
He did not realize that his last chance was walking out the door.


Similes
My love is like a red, red rose.

Last night, I slept like a log.

My love for you is as deep as the ocean

She is as thin as a toothpick.




Litotes
He is not the cleverest person I have ever met.

New York is not an ordinary city.


Synecdoche and metonymy are both figures of speech where one word substitutes for another, but they rely on completely different types of relationships. [1]
  • Synecdoche relies on a literal, physical connection where a part represents the whole, or the whole represents a part.
  • Metonymy relies on a conceptual connection where a closely associated word or symbol replaces the original concept, even if it isn't a physical part of it

SynecdochePhysical Connection (Part-to-Whole)"Check out my new wheels." (Wheels are a physical part of the car)"All hands on deck!" (Hands are parts of the sailors)



MetonymyConceptual Connection (Association)"I need to get a job to make some bread." (Bread is associated with money/sustenance)"The pen is mightier than the sword." (Pen associates with writing; sword with military force)





The ice cream was not too bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.