Hello! My name's Liliana. I'm a teacher of English (Language and Literature) to Italian teenage stu

mercoledì 19 settembre 2018

VERBS-gerund or infinitive


CONSTRUCTION  with IT   INFINITIVE
It’s dangerous/easy/amazing/difficult to_____________________________________________________
PROMISE
He promised to write to me every week
He promised me that he’d cook dinner tonight
He promised to me that he’d clean his room

SPEND   SPENDERE  She spends too much money on clothes, The company has spent lots of money on improving its computer network
SPEND TRASCORRERE  He spent 6 months working  on the project

DESERVE  He deserves to get a prize, He deserves to be locked up for life
FORGET He’s completely forgotten about the quarrel, He forgot to take his pills

HAVE FUN/HAVE A HARD TIME/HAVE A GOOD TIME I had fun dancing at the party,  I had trouble finding somewhere to park

TRY = ATTEMPT I tried to open the door but I couldn’t,  Try not to make so much noise
TRY=TEST, TASTE, EXPERIMENT Try using a different shampoo!!
TRY=to examine facts in a court of law  He was tried for attempted murder

ORDER He ordered them to leave
REMEMBER I must remember (not forget) to send my friends a message, I remember going to the beach when I was a child, I don’t remember getting to know you before
REMIND Will you remind me to make Jim a phone call?, You remind me about my youth
ADMIT He admitted taking drugs, She admitted being guilty

SUGGEST He suggested having the meeting at his house. I suggest that we park the car here and walk into town
He suggests that I should go home
 I suggested what to see

INFINITO SOGGETTO
To live alone requires great courage (formal)
Living alone requires great courage
It requires great courage to live alone

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento

Nota. Solo i membri di questo blog possono postare un commento.