Hello! My name's Liliana. I'm a teacher of English (Language and Literature) to Italian teenage stu

Saturday, September 26, 2026

Task: Solve the Mystery-use third conditional

 

Practice structure accuracy using  a chain reaction.

  1. This is an exaggerated story about a teenager’s terrible morning:

    "Yesterday, Leo stayed up playing video games until 3 AM. He slept through his alarm, rushed out the door, tripped over his cat, dropped his phone in a puddle, and missed his school field trip."

  2. Activity (Fill-in-the-Chains): Have students complete the sentences in pairs:

    • If Leo (not / stay up) late, he (not / sleep) through his alarm.

    • If he (not / sleep) through his alarm, he (not / rush) out the door.

    • If he (not / trip) over his cat, he (not / drop) his phone in the puddle.

  • If I had been born 100 years ago, I would have had to live without Wi-Fi, smartphones, or video games. (TECHNOLOGY)

  • If I had been born 100 years ago, I would have ridden a horse or a steam train instead of taking a car to school. (MEANS OF TRANSPORT)

  • If I had been born 100 years ago, I wouldn't have listened to modern music—I would have listened to jazz on a gramophone. (MUSIC)

  • If I had been born 100 years ago, I would have worn fancy suits and hats every single day. (CLOTHES)

  • If I had been born 100 years ago, I would have become a silent movie actor! (CINEMA)


  • Task: Solve the Mystery

    Complete the detective notes below by writing the correct third conditional form of the verbs in brackets.

    1. If the security guard (not fall) asleep, the thieves (not steal) the priceless diamond.

    2. If the detective (check) the fingerprints at the scene earlier, she (catch) the suspect before he fled the country.

    3. If the bank manager (install) better security cameras, the police (identify) the masked robbers immediately.

    4. If the key witness (speak) up during the trial, the innocent man (not go) to prison.

    5. If the cyber-criminals (not leave) their IP address behind, the FBI (never track) them down.

    6. If the getaway driver (not take) a wrong turn into a dead-end street, the gang (escape) with the cash.

    7. If the forensic team (analyze) the DNA sample sooner, the cold case (solve) years ago. (Hint: Watch out for the passive voice!)

    8. If the jewel thief (not brag) about the heist on social media, Scotland Yard (never find) the loot hidden in his apartment.

    The "Regret & Blame" QuizMatch the mistake on the left with the Third Conditional reaction on the right.
    MistakeReaction
    1. I ate whole jar of hot salsa last night.A. If you hadn't posted it, you wouldn't have felt embarrassed!
    2. I forgot to charge my phone before school.B. If you had listened to your parents, you wouldn't have ruined them.
    3. I wore new white sneakers to a muddy music festival.C. If you hadn't eaten it, you wouldn't have spent all morning in the bathroom!
    4. I posted an embarrassing selfie on my story by accident.D. If you had plugged it in, your battery wouldn't have died during class.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.